Monday, December 19, 2011

Ghanaian Tradition


A dear friend said to me that she had learned from the Ghanains to be more relational.  I thought about it many times since she said it.  It is so true!  This is only one example: when a woman gives birth to her firstborn she retreats to her mother’s home for a month or two of training. I’m sure anyone in America is thinking, what? Are they crazy! Not at all.  There is  a precious momma living with us now.  She is sharing my room with her newborn.  Watching the women in her family who’ve gathered around her to teach her how to take care of the umbilical chord, bath and share their secrets of how to comfort her little one is precious.  But more precious is her attitude in receiving this instruction. She is receiving many blessings and memories.  I watch them laugh and giggle during many beautiful moments that they are sharing with one another and the bonding of the family to the infant is impressive.  Occasionally when they speak English and because I am beginning to understand Ga a little,  I find it refreshing that they keep no secrets but converse with one another openly about their feelings, their fears, their mistakes and their triumphs in life.  I’m sure your asking, what about the husband?  He visits often and you know what they say… Absence makes the heart grow fonder.  I am sure they long to be with one another and I am also sure she will return home to him rested and very confident in her abilities.  The bible speaks of the older women teaching the younger women.  The mother and other family members feel so honored to have the opportunity to share and be a part.  My dear friend, you are correct,  we should open our hearts and our minds so that we can become more relational with one another.  The enemy has robbed us of precious moments and memories because we are not more relational.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers